Sunday, March 7, 2010

As far as I know, there aren't any bible quotes about calling security

Proverbs 14:21 He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.
I stopped at Sam's Club on the way home from work Friday and bought a lot of extra large packages and a roast chicken for dinner. Everything at Sam's Club is supersized-even the rotisserie chickens look like they've had some sort of breast augmentation.
I was parked at the edge of the lot and loading an extra large bag of toilet paper in my trunk when someone ran over to my cart and grabbed the box of fried rice sticking out of the side. "Yes," he said.
He was dressed in a faded jacket and had long black greasy hair. I looked at him and said "No" while trying to figure out what the symbols were tattooed above his lip. I also thought about the possibility of there being germs on the box of rice now that he had touched it.
He looked directly into my eyes for a moment, then repeated "no?" He began to walk away, but then I felt bad and offered him the chicken. I rather patronizingly told him that it was very greasy and he would need napkins. He didn't seem to understand. He walked down the hill from the parking lot and huddled behind a cluster of bushes. As I loaded the rest of the packages, I tried to see what he was doing, but could only see his back. As I drove away, I saw him running toward another customer at the edge of the parking lot, trying get another hand out.

No comments: